Here is the third part of Mickey’s outline for a “NT Scriptural Guide for Witnessing.” This third part focuses on the response that is needed. We must remember that if we have not sought a response from a person, we have not FULLY shared the gospel. Enjoy the above video as well…it is a classic!
The Necessary Response
Romans 3:20 (NIV) 20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.
Mark 1:15 (NIV) 15“The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!”
2 Timothy 2:19b (NIV) “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.”
John 6:40 (NIV) 40For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”
Ephesians 2:8 through Ephesians 2:9 (NIV) 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—9not by works, so that no one can boast.
· Others on response – John 11:25, Romans 10:9, Acts 3:19, Acts 17:20, Acts 20:21
· Others to invite and challenge – John 7:37-39, John 20:31, 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12, Hebrews 2:3, Hebrews 4:2, 1 John 1:8-10, 1 John 2:3-6
· The exclusivity of Christianity – John 14:6, Acts 4:12, 1 John 2:23
III. Key Terms
1. Grace – God’s unearned, unmerited, free favor.
2. Saving Faith – Believe the historical reality of who Jesus was and what he did and to trust in that alone for relationship with God, forgiveness of sins and eternal life.
3. Repentance – to turn away from our sins and turn to God with the purpose of obeying Him.
4. Forgiveness – to cancel a debt, God no longer holds us liable for the penalty of our sins because Jesus has already paid that penalty.
5. Reconciliation – Mans relationship with God that is broken by sin (separation, hostility, enemies, wrath) is restored, there is no longer anything that separates us.
6. Justification– to be declared not guilty on the basis of Jesus’ substitutionary sacrifice.
7. Righteous – to have a right standing with, it can be either ethical (because we have done right) or judicial (because we have been declared not guilty).
8. Redeem – to buy back from slavery, this term particularly speaks of the fact that we are (were) enslaved by sin.